In this post i’m going to show you how to craft a positive morning routine which will set you up for a successful day. Let’s first take a look at typical morning routine of your average person:
- Alarm goes off.
- Hit the snooze button multiple times.
- Lye there feeling fed up and depressed at the thought of going to a job that you hate.
- Check Facebook and see other people’s negative crap.
- Rush around getting ready and fly out the door without breakfast because your running late for work.
If this is your morning routine then it’s no wonder you very rarely have a good day.
The Benefits of a Morning Routine and Why You Need It
Having a morning routine can drastically change your life. Let’s take a look at the benefits of having a positive morning routine:
- Overcome procrastination.
- Helps you become a more positive person.
- Improves your health.
- Boosts happiness.
- Increase productivity.
- Reduces stress and anxiety levels.
- Allows you to achieve more goals.
- Feel more motivated to tackle life.
What If Your Not a Morning Person?
A lot of people say that they are not a morning person and will use this as an excuse as to why they can not create a positive morning routine. The benefits sound very appealing but they think it is just impossible for them to achieve this. This is far from the truth! There is nobody that hated mornings more than myself.
The thing is, humans are creatures of habits. Habits can be learn or unlearnt. It’s just a case of a creating a plan and having the knowledge to know how to change your mindset and make a morning routine a habit which you will consistently stick too. “I’m not a morning person” is an invisible script which you have created and deeply embedded into your own mind.
These invisible scripts are in our subconscious minds which guide our attitude and behaviors. So if you keep telling yourself you are not a morning person, then this is the belief your mind is going to have. You can be, do, or achieve anything you want in life. The key to success is to re-program your mind to a different way of thinking.
How To Make A Morning Routine a Habit?
As previously mentioned, one of the keys to success when creating a positive morning routine, especially if you are not a morning person, is to make the morning routine a habit. Let’s take a quick look at how you can do this.
- Constant;y remind yourself of the new habit you want to create.
- Make the habit achievable by deciding what type of things you want to include in your morning routine.
- Always be aware of the rewards associated with the habit.
- Use visualization to successfully see yourself completing your habit.
- See the progress of your habit by recording it on a calendar. Visually seeing progress will give you more motivation which will help to form the habit further.
For more in-depth information on habits, there is a great article on this blog which I wrote called “How to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones”.
Setting Yourself Up For Success The Night Before
Having a positive morning routine is great, but it cannot be achieved without first having a plan the night before. let’s take a look at the essential things you will need to tackle before you go to bed.
Setting goals the night before ensures that when you get up the next morning, you will already know exactly what it is you are doing. You won’t have to waste any time with writing your goals and thinking about what you want to achieve.
As an example, if you are a blogger, you want to write a list of tasks that you want to get done that day. It could be things like creating a blog post, making pin for Pinterest, keyword research, or coming up with blog topic ideas.
How to Get the Perfect Night Sleep
Here are some tips for you to follow which will prepare you for the recommended 7-9 hours sleep. These actions will help calm the mind which will enable you to get a peaceful nights sleep.
- Comfort: A comfortable mattress and pillow are essential for good sleep.
- Don’t eat Too Much: Eating large meals too close to sleep time can keep you awake due to your bodies digestive system.
- Avoid Alcohol: Consuming alcohol may help you fall asleep easier but the quality of sleep will not be as good.
- Get Off The Electronics: At least an hour before bed you should stay clear of any electronic devices such as laptops, cell phones, tablets etc.
- Writing: Writing any stressful thoughts in a journal is a great way to release them from your mind.
- Room Temperature: The National Sleep Foundation suggests that the ideal room temperature for a good night’s sleep is around 65°F (18°C).
- Room Darkness: The darker the room the better you will sleep. Use room-darkening curtains and switch off anything that may create some kind of light.
- Breathing/Meditation: The practice of meditation or breathing exercises before sleep is by far one of the best ways to calm the mind and relieve any kind of stress and anxiety. Another little trick I use is do some stretching. Stretching relieves all of the tension in your muscles and enables you to have a more restful sleep.
- Gratitude: Instead of looking at any negative things that may have happened during the day, think of the things that you are truly grateful for.
- Alarm Clock: Put your alarm clock across the other side of the room. This is to make sure you don’t keep snoozing your alarm in the morning (more on this in the next section).
Following this tips will set you up perfect for the positive morning routine.
How To Create The Ultimate Positive Morning Routine
#1 Wake Up Early And Do Not Hit The Snooze Button
Successful entrepreneurs and business people all over the world have an early schedule which enables them to be productive and get a lot of things done. You don’t have to go extreme about this. Just waking up 30 – 60 minutes earlier every day will allow you to fit more in.
How to wake up earlier? Do not go from getting up at 8 am to suddenly setting your alarm 3 hours earlier. You will not last longer than a couple of days doing this before you realize how hard it is and just give in. Set your alarm 10-15 minutes earlier every day or every couple of days. Eventually you will be waking up an hour or two earlier and doing it slowly won’t be such a shock to the system.
Hitting the snooze button is something everybody does, but it’s the worst possible thing you can do. The reason why it’s such a bad idea will be covered below in the section called “What Not To Do On a Morning”.
#2 Make Your Bed
Making your bed straight away is one of the best ways to start your day when it comes to productivity and having a positive day. Making your bed is a small task so doing this task straight away gets you in the right mindset for accomplishing things for the rest of the day.
#3 Take a Cold Shower
Not many people will know much about this one but there are a ton of benefits to taking a cold shower. Here’s what taking a cold shower can do for you:
- Increases alertness
- Refines hair and skin
- Improves immunity and circulation
- Stimulates weight loss
- Speeds up muscle soreness and recovery
- Relieves stress
- Relieves depression
- Build strong will power
- Improve emotional resilience
- Increase testosterone
- Boost fertility
If you want to take a look at this in more detail, there’s a great post on this blog called “Cold Shower Benefits | Things That Happen When You Take Cold Showers”.
#4 Drink Water
If you’ve been asleep asleep for 8-9 hours, that’s a long time to go without any water. Tiredness is a symptom of dehydration, and after a long sleep you are going to be dehydrated. The first thing you should do on a morning is drink a large glass of water.
Meditating every morning is a great way to calm your mind and set you up for the rest of the day. Decluttering your mind will relieve anxiety to make you feel more relaxed and put you in a positive mindset.
Benefits of meditation:
- Reduces Stress
- Controls Anxiety
- Promotes Emotional Health
- Enhances Self-Awareness
- Lengthens Attention Span
- May Reduce Age-Related Memory Loss
- Can Generate Kindness
- Help Fight Addictions
- Improves Sleep
- Helps Control Pain
- Can Decrease Blood Pressure
To find out more information on meditation, here are some of the best resources:
- Meditation Mastery Secrets: Click here for more info
- FREE 60 Minutes Deep Relaxation Audio: Click here for more info
- FREE Meditation Miracle eBook: Click here for more info
#6 Affirmations, Gratitude, and Visualization
Humans typically have self-sabotaging and negative thoughts which prevent them from achieving what they want in life. Affirmations are positive statements and repeating them on a daily basis can help re-program your mind and eliminate negative thoughts.
Think of affirmations as an exercise for your mind. If you wanted to build muscle you would lift weights multiple times per week, then over the upcoming months and years your muscles would get bigger and stronger. Affirmations work in exactly the same way but for your mind which can transform you into a positive person.
Being grateful on a daily basis helps with shifting your focus away from any negative thoughts you may have. You can write these as a list and your affirmations as a separate list and keep them in a Google sheets document so you can read through the lists no matter where you are. You could also write them in some kind of small journal that you can carry around with you.
#7 Eat a Healthy Breakfast
Similar to what was covered about water and re-hydrating your body, your body has jut gone 8-9 hours of sleep without consuming any kind of nutrients. Getting a well balanced breakfast will give your body the fuel it needs to get you started for the day.
You can fill your brain with positivity and ideas by spending a bit of time each morning reading self-help books. Doing this will increase your awareness to your own thoughts. Once you are aware of your negative thoughts it becomes easier to transform them into more positive ones. It can also help you to:
- Stop allowing your weaknesses to hold you back
- Increase your self-belief
- Increase your clarity and focus
- Open your mind to new approaches
- Challenge yourself
Another idea is to actually get the audio versions of the books. This allows you to just put in some headphones and listen to them no matter what you are doing.
#9 Get Your Body Moving With Some Kind Of Exercise
Exercise is the one thing people struggle with and do not want to do at the best of times, let alone early in the morning. But getting in a workout first thing in the morning can do wonders for your mindset. Not only will you have accomplished something at the very start of the day, it will also produce endorphins which will boost productivity and positive thinking.
It also doesn’t have to be something that’s going to last for an hour or two,it can be a very short session of exercise or even something like yoga which has great effects on your mind and body.
#10 Get Important Tasks Done
The goal here is to get some of your most important tasks of the day done as early as possible. Using blogging again as an example,you could get your daily blog post done and dusted so you do not have to worry about it. This will leave you free time o an evening to work on other tasks for your business.
What Not to Do On a Morning
You now have some great tips and all the knowledge you will need on how to create a positive morning routine. It’s also just as important to know what not to do on a morning, and this section will cover that.
#1 Never Snooze Your Alarm
Snoozing impacts your neurology and your brain function, even if it’s just for a few minutes. If you want to learn more about this then check out this great post called “Why You Shouldn’t Hit the Snooze Button | What Happens To Your Body If You Do”.
How do you get out of bed straight away without hitting the alarm? By using the ‘Five Second Rule’. The brain has a very small window of time before it starts overthinking and doubting. The idea is, as soon as you alarm goes off, count down from five and then spring out of bed before your brain has a chance to convince you to hit the snooze.
#2 Do Not Check Social Media
Checking social media is one of the worst things you can do on a morning. You could wake up feeling great then as soon as you read the toxic, negative posts it make you feel angry and destroy your mindset. The problem is it’s just so easy to do with your phone on the table next to your bed. You have to get into the habit of not checking social media on a morning.
#3 Don’t Check Your Emails
Unless your expecting something very important, it’s also a great idea to not check your emails first thing on a morning. It’s not that it’s as bad as social media, it’s just the fact you should prioritize more important tasks that you need to get done. Jumping into your email inbox can kill your productivity because you’ll be wasting time sorting through emails and not getting important tasks done.
#4 Don’t Drink Coffee
Coffee is usually one of the first things people think of to grab first thing in a morning, but it’s a good idea to wait a while. Drinking coffee first thing will just confuse your body’s natural cortisol monitoring system which will lead to a crash of energy later in the afternoon. If your going to drink coffee, science suggests drinking it between 10 am and noon.
#5 Don’t Watch TV
Watching TV first thing on a morning, especially the news will just add negativity to your day from the start. Instead of reaching for that remote, it’s best to do some of the activities recommended previously in this post such as exercise, meditation, or reading.
Hope you enjoyed this post on how to create a positive morning routine. There are some great tips here so don’t just read this and do nothing with it, start taking action and implement the routine into your morning.